Friday, March 14, 2008

Switchfoot: Straight to my heart


I must admit, I was never really a switchfoot fan until their most recent album, "Oh!Gravity." But I'm really in love with their latest album. Last October, my Boyfriend, Mom, (yes, my mom likes switchfoot) and myself went to go see them live at Shippensburg University, and they were just as good live as they were on the CD, which I don't think happens very often, or atleast with the bands I've seen live. We'll, the reason I'm blogging about Switchfoot is because their lyrics really hit home for me. Music has a tendency to do that with me. And yes, in case you did not know, Switchfoot is a Christian band.

A stereotype of Christian music that I really hate is that people think its all hmyn-like. Not the case! In fact, you'd be surprised of the music I have in my car-a lot of heavy rock with lyrics that are not about sex, drugs, and material things. In Short, the Christian music I listen to may be deemed "worship music," but a majority of it just talks about living the Christian life, frustration with this world, and deeper thoughts.


So, what I love about "Oh!Gravity" is that the theme really is all about the futileness of the typical American Dream/materialism. America has this mentality that more stuff will satisfy you, complete you, make you happier. You can buy all you want, but this doesn't work. As a Christian, I think that the only thing that can truly satisfy your soul is knowing that Jesus has got you and your sins covered-something he wants everyone to accept.


In short, here are some of my favorite lines from some of the songs on their album, some of which I feel are the anthem of my heart:


"I wanna live and die for bigger things. I'm tired of fighting for just me. That ain't my American Dream."


"Like a puppet on a monetary string
Maybe we’ve been caught singing
Red, white, blue, and green"


"If you only get one shot, if you only get one life, if time was never on our side, well before I die I wanna burn out bright."

"I wanna wake up kicking and screaming, I want to live like I know what I'm leaving
I want to know that my heart's still beating."

"Everyone I know
Needs love like drugs
Like a common cold
We could never shrug"


"Let your love be strong enough, that I don't care what goes down."

there's like a thousand more I could put up, but this blog is getting too long. See what I mean though, I suppose their lyrics are like "in disguise Christian" lyrics. Have a GREAT weekend everyone! :)



No comments: