Friday, April 25, 2008

Arguing with Muslims part 2

Here's the second point that I wanted to highlight from the article by Willimon that I mentioned in yesterday's blog. Willimon mentions that Muslims are not impressed with our so-called-faith here in America due to our materialistic and sex-saturated society. I agree. He says:

"I think Muslims have got it right when they say that Christians in the West appear to have produced, or at least acquiesced to, a pagan, sex-saturated, violent, materialistic society. Muslims seem to despise us not because we're so free (wrong, G.W. Bush) or because we're so very Christian (wrong, Jerry Falwell) but because we're so awefully pagan."
Do you think this is an accurate description of American society?

"It's no wonder that most Muslims are unimpressed with our God. We invoke God's name as we bomb, occupy and dominate Islamic cultures. We may say on our money "in God we trust," but Muslims suspect that oil, power, and wealth are our true hearts' desire. I wonder if Muslims look at us and think, "You're going to have to look a lot more redeemed before I'll believe in your redeemer."

What ideas/things do you think are our society's true desires?

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Thanks, Kristen. You have a good weekend too!

I should apologize for messing with you a little in my previous comments –I don't know much about Islam so I can't actually talk about that.

I was being sort of honest about my feelings about hell. I DO think hell is bogus. If anything, hell must simply be the experience of being separated from God (such as being angry or hateful towards each other -suffering from sin hurts us on the inside and that's why I think it bothers God).

I think I have a good relationship with Jesus. I feel my parents love me unconditionally and that's how I feel about my father in heaven. When it comes to my Christian beliefs, I just do my best to love everyone always no matter what, forgive them, and to not judge.

samm said...

The end of a semester must come close to heaven.