Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sacredness of Life

Yesterday someone asked me a question that made me realize that I should try to clarify something about me being mennonite. As with many religions, there are several denominations of Christianity, and even several different variations of those denominations, and Mennonites are no exception to these variations. I really thinkt that the number of denominations out there is rediculous and says a lot about how people are really picky about whether a church or denomination "suits their preferences." Anyway, there are a few differences between the more plain Mennonites and myself, a more modern/contemporary Mennonite.

ME: I wear pants, I don't wear a prayer covering, I wear jewelry, I think contraceptives are okay but I also believe in the sacredness of life, I drive a car that is not black and has a sunroof, I go places other than church on a Sunday.

Obviously, you can understand what they do/do not do based upon what I do/do not do as listed above.

I want to explain the contraceptive/sacredness of life thing:
Often, not always, plain Mennonites have tons of kids. A family of ten kids is not unusual for a plain (also called Old Order) Mennonite family. That's fine-If you can provide for 10 kids adequately and love kids, go ahead, have those babies, more power to you! However, understand that each of those children have value and worth in God's eyes. Often many plain Mennonites will come into the pharmacy with their seven, eight or more kids and order them around as though they are dogs, often losing track of several of them as they roam the store (you can usually find them in the toy aisle). They speak very little to their children with the exception of barking at them to put things down or to simply "come here." I've never heard a positive word of affirmation to these kids. I think that every human being deserves to be brought up in a loving environment where they never doubt if they have value and worth. Personally, I don't think that they way some of these plain Mennonites raise their kids encourages that. Instead, a rigorous work ethic and a "silence is best" mentality is taught to these kids. If I'm going to have a child, I want that child to know that I and God love him or her, not that they were just another kid I had. Wouldn't it be the saddest thing ever to have so many kids that you can't keep track of them and provide equal love for each of them? The Amish are guilty of this too, and it is not unheard of that both young Mennonite and Amish children are frequently hit by cars or killed by farm equipment simply because no parent was available to keep an eye on them. What does that say about their views on the sacredness of life?

3 comments:

samm said...

Very informative. Keep it up. See you in class.

Ashley said...

You should not make insulting statements about more conservative Mennonites. There are a lot of them in my area that are very happy and very loving toward their children. Please don't make blanket insults toward a denomination or group. It can be hurtful to other people. I am Presbyterian, but I wear a prayer covering and skirt everyday. You should really think before insulting others and assuming they are all Mennonites.

Ashley said...

Sorry to post again, but I re-read the post and have something else to say. Why are you insulting people that you just glimpse in a store? How can someone be guilty for having many children? The Bible calls children a blessing, consider this next time. Also, there are many secular/non-religious/Muslim/Baptist/Presbyterian children that are hit by cars, run over by farm equipment, and hurt in various other ways. I just don't understand your need to bash these people. By the way, not all Mennonites wear Reeboks.