Friday, April 18, 2008

The End

As my mind was wandering yesterday (imagine that!), I thought of something my good friend Mike said at a Bible Study I was at one time. Mike was talking about the existence of God and Christianity in general and how some people really struggle to believe in all of it. He said something like this:
"I believe that Jesus died for me and that I will go to be with Him when I die. But what if I'm wrong? What if there is no God and I come to find at the end of my life that it was all a lie, all pointless. SO WHAT? I may have lived a fuller, happier, more moral life, but that was it. Now, think of the opposite spectrum. What if I'm right? What if the only way to get into Heaven is to believe it, to feel it, to really live it? No loss for me-what about you? Are you scared to die? I'm not."
I think this should spark some good thought-out comments. Keep 'em coming! Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy this awesome weather God's giving us!

1 comment:

Jesse said...

The French philosopher Blaise Pascal made the same argument for Christianity: that you really have nothing to lose by believing in it, so you might as well. I agree.

What I worry about is tying myself to one religion when the truth, be it the Christian God or any other, sits awhile and waits for me to find him. So how can one person decide "I'm a (insert religious affiliation here) and I don't want to think anymore".

Shouldn't we always simply be searching for what be most believe is true? Like your argument and Pascal's, what have we got to lose?